Lilypie

Monday, November 12, 2007

Visit from "Auntie" Christine




My best friend Christine, who I miss beyond what words can express, surprised me last weekend. Justin told me he was going to the airport to pick up our friend Matt, which I completely believed because Matt travels for his work fairly often. The odd thing was that on Wednesday night at church I ran into Matt and asked him about his business trip he was supposedly taking. He told me he was leaving on Thursday evening, flying to Ohio to take a client to lunch on Friday and then flying home Friday evening. I actually said, "that sure is an expensive lunch" and all he could say was, "I just do what I'm told." Anyway, Justin goes to pick up Matt and comes home with Christine!!!!!!!! I just stared at her and said, "Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!" I kept looking at her and then at Justin, back at her, back at Justin. Needless to say, I was beyond surprised! And I truly needed it.

The night before I had cried to Justin about how much I miss my wonderful childhood friends back in Texas. Moving wasn't too hard, but now that we all have kiddos it's extremely difficult. Why is it so hard for me to make new friends?? My last years of college I really started keeping more guy friends, so now girls have a huge tendency to really tire me!! Of course my lifelong friends have a waiver on the things that annoy me now, so if any of the following statements involve a conversation we've ever had, IT DOESN'T APPLY TO YOU!! :) My good friends can do almost anything and it doesn't bother me, but when it comes to girls I've met post-college, they unfortunately have to be absolutely perfect or I simply get..well...annoyed. Believe me, I'm not proud of it and I wish I could shake this funk I'm in, but it's tough. So, examples of what I can't handle from girls..."what should I wear?" I DON'T CARE!!! "Are you bringing your purse?" Why does that matter?! If you want your purse, bring your purse! "What do you think about my new shoes?" Honestly, nothing. "Do you want to go get coffee?" That depends, will you be there? Then no. "You should go on the women's retreat at church! it's a get-to-know you retreat, with games, snacks and chit chat!!" Just the idea of that wears me out...I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

Is there something wrong with me? It's such a catch 20-20 with me. I am upset that I don't have many friends here in Colorado, but when the opportunity shows itself to have a new friendship I tend to either choose not to nurture it or to find something about her that I can't deal with. Am I Chandler???? You know, he always finds things wrong with women, like her head is too big or she laughs funny. Is that me???

This little onesie was embroidered by Christine's husband's mom. It says class of 2029 and it's Maroon for Texas A&M!! I can't believe she'll graduate in 2029. It's so surreal to me.

7 comments:

da momma said...

AHHHHHHHHH! Shelby is soooo adorable! Im so jealous of Christine visiting you! I wanna surprise you too! I cant wait for Dec when yall come here! 2029 seems so far away - but it will be here before we are all ready! You are doing such a great job as a working wife & mommy! Its neat you have God's beauty all around you! Much more than the same ol scenery around me, Hill Elementary, City of Pantego, Roosevelt street, etc....There WILL be a day that we liveclose again but enjoy who and what is around you now...God has you there for a reason! I love you!

Oma said...

Yeah, well, I'm jealous too of Christine visiting you. But, I know we have to share our granddaughter. One day I, too, will surprise you! (Get that, da momma? :) The picture of Shelby, Class of 2029 will have to go with our Christmas card this year! Can't wait to show that doll off!!

Anonymous said...

How fun that you got to see Christine!! Suzanne, I thought you were inside my head when you were talking about making friendships with girls! I have the SAME issues with it and find it completely exhausting to seek out and maintain those kinds of friendships. This could possibly be why I have no friends in Tulsa...hmmm...! As you said, it's not something I'm proud of, but I do know how you feel. On another note, Shelby is BEAUTIFUL and I just hope I look half as great as you do after having a baby!

Leilanni said...

Next time you're home do you want to go get coffee???? But let me know if you're going to bring your purse or not . . . :-) hee hee

Thanks for the much-needed opportunity to laugh aloud!! Love you! (and no, there's not a thing wrong with you!!)

Anonymous said...

Hello Suzanne!!! What a small world! It's so great to read your blog and catch up! Shelby is adorable! Send me your email to karenandshane@hotmail.com and I'll send you an invite to view our blog! We have two kiddos now!!!

Holly said...

Love the cute pictures of Shelbster! I want to kiss those cheeks! I know you and Tine had a blast being together.
God really blessed us with a great batch of friends early in our lives. I'm SO thankful to Him for that.
Sometimes, it blows my mind that we survived the teen drama queen years and remain friends.
You have such a great sense of humor and a wonderful loving heart. Any gal is mighty lucky to be your friend.
Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Mema said...
Shelby is growing to fast and changing so much. Just looking into those precious eyes makes me want to hold her so close and learn all about her. I want her to know who I am and how much I love her. She is adorable and she's my little girl's little girl (and yours too Justin). That just grabs my heart. Looking forward to seeing you all in December. Love you all, Mema