Did anybody else watch the CNN YouTube debate from last night? I have to be honest, I am pretty impressed, but cautious, about 3 of the Democratic candidates, the three being: Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, and John Edwards, who are all, ironically, leading the polls in that order. I hope I am not falling victim to the "all talk, but no action" spiels of each of the candidates. Feeling like I am a good judge of character and of one's genuineness, I sensed a lot of heartfelt and honest answers from The Three. I think The Others have no shot at all and should just quit now, except maybe for Joe Biden, whose no B.S. personality is pretty fun to watch...probably because he is full of B.S. But who isn't at this level of politics?
The main theme I got from the debate was: it's time for a real change. Did anybody take away anything else? Yes, there were other main points, but the "real change" one seemed to be echoed by the entire group. Is a "real change" possible? With a Democrat or a Republican? In my opinion, the Republican candidates are a joke, but I will try to keep this post unbiased, which won't happen since this is my blog and my opinion. Anyways, I'm not sure how many of you follow politics closely, closely being relative of course. I definitely don't, but when it's presidential election time, few things can match the televised debates, especially the ones where the party's own candidates are facing off with each other.
All that having been said, can we really expect a "real change" if one of The Three were elected? I hold, and forever will, I think, a faint glimmer of hope that America will become one of the greatest countries in the world. I'm not old enough to remember anything important about the presidents before Clinton, and I probably didn't really start caring for politics, at the president level, until the 2000 election. But it seems to me that Americans, the ones who care enough about what's going on with Jorge Bush in office, are ready for a new direction, a new leader who has a genuine interest in America, its people, and its future. That sounds cliche and sweet, I know, but when a sensible direction and a true leader has been absent for the past 7, going on 8 years, what else would Americans want?
I feel like I am babbling, so I will sum up the main point of this post. Do you think if one of The Three were elected that America's direction would be righted and we would see true and effective leadership? Do you think no matter who is elected, Democrat or Republican, that America won't really change and that we will continue to act as we have acted for so long now? Any thoughts, challenges, or disagreements are welcome...as long as nobody says anything positive about Pres. Bush...seriously.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
America needs a woman in the White House, period. That's why Hilary will have my support in the upcoming election. Germany, Ireland, Switzerland and now India all have female leaders. If we want change in this country, which is clearly obvious that we all do at this point, then we need to seriously change the leadership.
Politics is a dirty business. Whoever becomes President, he/she still does not totally run the country. Excuse my French, it's a bunch of kiss-ass cliques. It's "who you are", "who you know, and "how much you give" that sways the decisions. Does it sound like I hate politics? Yeah, it does.....
"America is ready for a change." I too, took away the same general concept from the youtube debate. While I am not really fond of ANY of the potential candidates at this point, I do think that Hillary Clinton has a point. She has not been a favorite of mine over the years, but it does remain true that many other, important countries have already elected women as leaders and for this reason (among others), she could be effective. One fact still has me hung up on her and the other two of The Three - war strategy. It seemed that no one had a clear resolution, and I'm not quite sure there is such a thing. Pulling troops out by a certain date is good and fine, but what then? Has anyone really come up with a clear plan for the reprocussions to follow? This is long - maybe I should create my own post on this!
Post a Comment