I have never prided myself in the fact that I'm not much of a reader, and yet I have never done much to make reading more of a priority. I've read a few good books in my 31 years: The Count of Monte Cristo, The Secret Garden, a Calvin & Hobbs comic book. :) Then there was a beautiful trilogy by Richard Paul Evans: Timepiece, The Christmas Box, and The Letter - great, quick-read books. I've read a few Max Lucado books as well. All-in-all, I could probably count the number of REAL books (Calvin & Hobbs not included) on both hands...maybe even one and a half hands.
My dad and I were on the phone a few months ago and he mentioned The Shack. I had never heard of it, but several people at my parents' church were reading it. He told me that Justin and I should read it. But he warned me, "if you start it, you have to finish it." A couple of days later I was talking to my mom about it and she warned me that it may not be the right book for me. When she explained why, I decided I definitely did NOT want to read it. Eventually I changed my mind.
A few weeks ago I decided to give it a try. I read the first couple of chapters, closed it and put it away. I was so distraught by the whole thing. Ever since Shelby came into our lives I have not been able to handle so many things that used to never upset me, at least not how they upset me now. I had only read about two chapters and I was bawling. I was crying to Justin out of anger and personal pain. So, instead of me finishing the book, Justin decided to read it himself. I love my husband. He is so amazing and beautiful. He read the book and not only enjoyed it but cried his way through it too. When he was done he told me that I really should finish it.
So, I have finished it. And I can't believe that my heart is intact. I cried through the first half from the pain and heartache that any parent will feel if he/she reads this book. I cried through the second half from the experience the main character goes through to heal from his loss. This book, while somewhat controversial, is absolutely beautiful. For anyone experiencing doubt, a sense of loss, a sense of confusion. If you ask questions that you can't find an answer to, if you feel that you don't understand how God works, or why He works the way He does (or the way you think He does), this book may be a good stepping stone. It is of course fiction, but some of the suggested answers that the author offers are not only eye-opening but refreshing.
I'd love to hear anyone's comments if you have read the book. Has it changed the way you see God? Do you feel you better understand Him?
If you haven't read the book I recommend that you read it. But remember, if you start it - you have to finish it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I am going to the store and reading it today... I have gotten really into books and just finished a memoir on a prison in Thuran... so I need a good one... I will let you know.
Post a Comment