Lilypie

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Stubbornness Must Run in the Family

As I'm typing this, Shelby and I are having our first "battle". I think she must be a fruitarian or something. Anytime it's time to eat, all she wants is fruit!!! At this very moment she is sitting in her booster seat, waiting for her fruit. Instead, she has meat sticks with ketchup!! Normally, a much-desired snack. Instead of eating them with much delight, she is alternating from either sucking her thumb and looking at me with her sweet eyes, or crying the most pathetic cry. I hate having to lay down the law!!! I'm so weak when it comes to sticking to my guns, at least with my sweet baby girl! I just hate that 80% of her diet is fruit!!!!!! Am I doing the right thing? I know that babies have phases of liking certain things. Any adivce??

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Well, the "battle" is over. I'm not sure if there was a winner or not. Shelby sat in her seat for about 15 minutes. The last five minutes she sucked her thumb until she basically fell asleep. So, she is now down for a nap - no fruit, no meat sticks with ketchup. Did anyone win? Does there even need to be a winner? HELP!!!

Lisa Mae said...

Oh boy, do I understand your battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have had this battle with Cole from the moment we introduced table foods. Last summer after some evaluations we discovered that Cole has oral sensory issues. He has a super sensitive gag reflex due to textures of food and smells. Weird, I know, but very real in our world. To this day he doesn't eat any meat, veggies and only has a hand full of things he can handle. One of those being fruit. I don't know what we would do if he refused that. We have finally just excepted this around our house. We pray that eventually he will out grow it all. I'm not sure if we have done the right thing or not about stopping the whole process of introducing new foods. I've heard it takes a crazy 20 times?? We are praying Canon will be our good eater. At least it is fruit she is liking and not other things. It could be a lot worse. Trust me!

da momma said...

yup I heard 20 times too! crazy! Maybe try diced hotdog mixed with diced apples and see if she's smart enough to pick them apart to eat?? Elijah ate everything & anything he even loves broc & califlower!! But Aydia is 8 mths and just now, kinda eating cereal with bananas or anything mixed with bananas...besides that its me that she wants...and my battle these days is trying to get her to take the bottle... She's a fighter and I hate being so tough...just give up Aydia and take the bottle!!!! :)